4/20/02 - Congratulations to the 2002 Duke Start-Up Challenge First Place winner SunDance Genetics! Runners-Up included TheraNova and Visual Data Systems; Alchemy and Peregrine PowerKraft were finalists. TheraNova, as presented by Dan Burnett, was recipient of the People's Choice. Look for photos of the Awards and a webcast to be online in the coming week.
The Duke Start-Up Challenge is a three-phase competition held annually to foster entrepreneurship and start-up companies. The 3rd Annual Challenge for 2002 concluded April 20th with $100,000 in awards and a record number of participants.
2002 First Place - $50,000
Visual Data Systems
Special thanks to ID&B for their design of the 2002 Start-Up Challenge finalist webpages.
The Duke Start-Up Challenge positions Duke University as the pre-eminent center of entrepreneurship education in the Southeast by:
- Connecting the unique resources available within the Duke community and the Southeastern region
- Educating Duke University students in the process of creating and evaluating new business ventures
- Fostering new business formation and economic development in the Triangle region.
View the Kickoff Webcast for an overview of the 2002 Challenge, tips for surviving the challenge by a winning member from 2001, and ideas on forming a successful team by McKinsey & Co director Kevin Coyne. (RealPlayer required)
- Garry Snook (Grand Prize Sponsor)
- Office of the Dean, Pratt School of Engineering
- Office of the Dean, Fuqua School of Business
- Office of the Provost, Duke University
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences
- Duke University School of Law
- Duke Global Capital Markets Center
Congratulations to 2002 Runner-Up Novoculi, which closed NASDAQ April 29, 2002.